Green Valley Grocer
Slaithwaite Cooperative Ltd Since 2009
The Green Valley Grocer is a community-owned co-operative in Slaithwaite.
We pick only the best fruits and vegetables for our customers, as well as deliver only fresh dairy, wet fish, artisan bread, whole foods, and a large range of cheeses. Your health and the health of your family members are the top priority for us!
Our Local Food Strategy
We define ‘Local’ food as food grown or made within a 30 mile radius of Slaithwaite village. We define ‘Super Local’ as food grown or made within a 5 mile radius, including in Slaithwaite, Marsden, Golcar, Milnsbridge, Meltham areas.
Get help to buy food & milk
We accept Healthy Start Vouchers
Fruit, Vegetables, Salad & Herbs
fresh from the farm/market to your table
- We sell a very wide range of fresh fruit, vegetables, salad and fresh herbs.
- Year-round we go to New Smithfield market three times a week and also use Bradford Wholesale market.
- Seasonal produce is sourced from farms in Yorkshire and local gardeners who have surplus.
- We sell our produce loose, not pre-packed, so that you can purchase exactly the amount you require with no wastage
Fresh, seasonal items every week
New products every week for variable dishes
Free delivery from your local farm and market
Wet Fish & Seafood
- We visit the Smithfield Fish Market for fresh fish and seafood 3 times a week.
- Salmon, haddock, naturally smoked haddock and hake fillets are our ‘staples’
- Cooked sandwich prawns and raw Tiger prawns in the freezer.
- A favourite lunch item is our smoked mackerel, with or without peppercorns.
- We can order from our supplier from their huge range of wet fish, cooked fish and seafood for customer requests, please give us two days notice for this.
Cheese, Cooked meats & Deli Goods
- We stock over 50 cheeses from the UK and Europe.
- Including cheddars, Lancashires, blues, brie, soft cheeses, as well as goat’s and ewe’s milk cheeses.
- Local cheeses such as Pexommier from Todmorden and Yorkshire Dama halloumi are very popular.
- We sell a select range of cooked and cured pre-packed meats, as well as olives, semi-dried tomatoes, and pates.
- From Tuesdays to Saturdays, we sell fresh loaves from the Hand Made Bakery, just a few minutes away.
- Our regular favourites are Sleepless White, Malted and Seeded Granary, Wild White Sourdough, and Yorkshire Leaven Sourdough. We also often have Hearth loaves and Wholemeal Cobs alongside a rotating ‘Special’ each week.
- Our selection of jams is vast and ever-expanding as our producers invent different fruit combinations.
- Also, local home producers use their own home-grown fruit.
- We sell honey from Phillip Jones Honey, Elland.
- Our peanut butter called “Proper Nutty” and is made of “Nowt but Nuts” and available in 1kg tins as well as glass jars.
Chocolate & snacks
- We stock an impressive range of flavours of Guppy’s Chocolate York.
- For a healthy snack, we have a range of vegan and dairy free snacks
Wholefoods & Store Cupboard Staples
- Most of our Wholefoods range is supplied by Suma in Elland.
- We sell a wide range of Suma-label dried fruit, rice, pulses, grains, pasta, as well as tinned soups and sauces, cooking oils, and condiments. We offer organic options on some of this range.
- We stock over 100 dried herbs and spices, including specialist paprika from Spain and locally-produced curry, mixes from Spice is Right at Linthwaite.
- Our wide range of breakfast cereals includes gluten-free options.
- We sell some of the basic dried fruit and pulses loose to weigh down and you can bring your own containers to fill up.
Household & Cleaning Products, Personal Care Products
- Ecoleaf is our chosen brand for household and cleaning products and we were the first shop in Slaithwaite where you can bring your empty bottles to re-fill with Washing Up Liquid, Laundry Liquid, and Fabric Conditioner.
- We sell a small range of Faith In Nature natural shampoos, conditioners, hand washes, shower gels and soaps
- Kingfisher and Sarakan toothpaste
- Suma soap bars.
Faith In Nature Natural Personal Care Products
Kingfisher & Saracan toothpastes
Freshly squeezed Orange Juice
- The ‘star’ of our cold drinks range is our Green Valley Grocer fresh orange juice, squeezed whilst you wait, in our Zumex machine. To fill a 500ml carton takes 7 to 10 oranges and is chock-full of vitamin C.